Monday, April 2, 2012

Crabbed Age & Youth



Yesterday during breakfast, my sisters and I were commenting on our dad's hair. We didn't realize how white it turned already. So, Elisa suggested he dye his hair. We didn't think he'd take her word seriously, but he did...

So just now, I helped Dad to color his hair using henna that he bought early this morning and tonight while I was doing his hair, some rush of sadness went through me. I realized how much time has passed. I realized that my parents have come this far in being there for me and my four siblings. I realized that they've grown 'old'. I know what you're thinking, that I'm slow to realize it.

Well, I know for sure that we all grow old but the kind of realization I have about my parents aging is the kind that brings the feeling of loss. I don't know why I'm suddenly being so emo over it since they're still around but it just makes me sad...

I love my mum and dad to the deepest depth of my heart's core. I know that I'm not a perfect daughter and even though I try I can't be since I tend to take my parents for granted sometimes and do things I know would disappoint them...

So, what I'm trying to point out is it took that one simple act of dyeing my dad's white hair to make me realize that the time to switch up our roles is near. My parents have been there for me all my life and I want so badly to be there for them for the rest of theirs. It's the least I can do for all that they have already sacrificed for me.

It's sad to know that most people don't realize this until it's too late. It's not just our parents but other people who we consider an important part of our lives. We tend to take them for granted.

You and I and everybody else don't actually have much time. In fact, we think we do and the next thing we know, we have missed out on a lot of opportunities and chances-- We lost time. So, for the little time we have, use it to the fullest and make sure it's not spent on something you will regret for the rest of your life.

It's about living in the moment, loving and cherishing the people whom you care about while they're still there. Do that, you can look back with a smile.

(Mummy, Daddy... I know I'm not the perfect daughter but please know, I'll try to be the best I can be for the two of you until there comes a day when I make you both proud.)



Oh, my stained hands after dyeing Dad's hair. Should have worn gloves...



Until the next post,
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment